Piano Tuning & Repair
Sunshine Musico proudly offers an in-person post-secondary diploma course for adults and high school graduates to achieve a career in piano tuning & repair.
With this certification, our students have been able to make $60 to $200 per session in one of the following career paths
Duration: 300 hours over 18 weeks
This course prepares you with everything you need to work as a professional piano tuning and repairing technician.
You will develop:
- Fundamental knowledge of piano parts and structures
- Humidity and temperature effects on the piano depending on the wood materials.
- Regular maintenance
Full spectrum on the difference between grand and upright pianos
- Firsthand experience in exploring all professional tools, provided in class
- Troubleshoot common piano problems due to interior/exterior structural issues
- Practice the techniques with the instructor in the class
- Implement newly acquired skills in a running piano tuning/repair shop
Some skills you will master includes but not limit to:
- Assembly of Grand piano action model
- Solve structural problems such as loose tuning pins, rib spear actions, etc.
- Tackle damper problems
Who can take this course?
You are eligible if you meet 1 of the 2 following requirements:
1. Ontario Secondary High School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or
2. Mature students with relevant professional experience (determined by instructors).
If you are interested in only taking certain courses instead of the program, you must have equivalent knowledge and skills that meet the prerequisite for your desired course.
Course curriculum of lessons included in the program
1. Introduction to Upright and Grand Pianos
A beginner's guide to learning about the different types of pianos and their basic characteristics.
2. Upright and Grand Piano Structures In Practice
Focusing on the practical aspects of understanding and working with the internal structures of grand and upright pianos.
3. Intermediate Piano Tuning
Advancing beyond the basics of tuning pianos, covering advanced techniques and troubleshooting common issues.
4. Causes & Solutions for Common Issues
Delves deeper into the internal structures of pianos and how to diagnose and fix common problems.
5. Tuning and Repairs: Part I
A continuation of a course on tuning and repairing pianos, focusing on advanced techniques and troubleshooting.
6. Tuning and Repairs : Part II
Second part on tuning and repairing pianos, focusing on advanced techniques and troubleshooting.
7. Grand Piano Assembly
Proper assembly and setup of grand piano
8. Grand Piano Regulations & Upright Piano Action Assembly
Covers the regulation and assembly of the internal mechanisms of grand and upright pianos.
9. Regulation Final Steps
Covers the final steps in the regulation and adjustment of pianos to ensure optimal performance.
Provides hands-on experience working with pianos through supervised practice and real-world applications.
11. Review of Theory
Reviews the material covered in previous classes and provides an opportunity to apply the knowledge in a practical setting.
Your instructors are experienced piano tuning, repair, and performance professionals with 100+ years of experience combined.
30+ Years Experience in Piano Tuning & Repair
Owner of Hong's Piano Service Company. Expert in Piano Structures and Construction.
10+ Years Experience in Piano Tech & Performance
Expertise in piano tuning, regulating, repairing and familiar with piano rebuilding.
Provided piano tuning services for shops, individuals, public and private venues.
20+ Years Experience in Piano Services
Founder & Owner of Sunshine Music & CMAC College.
10+ Years Experience in Piano Tuning & Repair
Professional Piano Tuner
10+ Years Experience of Piano Tuning & Repair
Piano Customer Service Expert
Our students range from adults to new high school graduates, graduating into in-demand careers as piano tuners and repair technicians.